Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day Thoughts...

This morning I am enjoying a day off of school because we are "celebrating" George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays. I am not sure how we celebrate our early presidents anymore - other than the big sale at Target, Wal-Mart, all the car dealerships, and well you get the picture. Can a discounted item count as a celebration of someones life? Just wondering.

So here I sit in my robe and slippers celebrating. And my thoughts are somewhat fuzzy on this! In the olden days there were parades, speeches and such. In elementary school there were big assemblies with patriotic songs and recitations. We made silouettes of their heads... using black paper and scissors. I do not recall having the day off way back then, but we did celebrate! We talked about their lives and what they had accomplished for our country. Maybe somewhere they are still doing that. I am not sure.

Now in fairness, I have been to their homes... Pres. Washington's house in VA- Mt. Vernon... and Pres. Lincoln's house in Il. I have been to both of their memorials and will go again with the junior class in a few weeks.

I stand amazed that this great union is still electing presidents in much the same way as these two men were elected.

And so today I celebrate Pres. Washington, Pres. Lincoln ,all in between and since. Today I pray for our president and for our country.

My last act of celebration today just may have to be a quick run by Target... It would perhaps be unAmerican not to do so!

No comments: