Monday, May 26, 2008

The three day weekend!

There was a time in our nation when even one day off was considered a luxury. Men and women and sometimes even children worked 16 and 18 hour days, six or seven days a week.

Somewhere along the way we were given the 8 hour work day and a 5 day day workweek. Every weekend we have two days in which to rest,relax, worship and do all of the other projects that need to be done. So then why is it that when we are given a 3 day weekend we seem to get so many more things finished? Yes, one additional day is great, but what we seem capable of accomplishing is exponentially greater than the one day really gives us!! It is a synergistic mystery! The sum is greater than the parts of the whole! I am not sure that the same principle would be the case if we had a three day weekend every week.

As for me, I am thankful for the weekend, thankful especially for the chance to remember the men and women who have sacrificed for me.

I do miss the Memorial Day parade that used to come down Cooper Street each year right in front of our house. I miss the bag pipers playing and the marching bands. But I will take the tranquility of our southern neighborhood any day! I am going to go hurry and enjoy every last minute of my long weekend!

1 comment:

dan said...

ahh yes, you did love those cooper street parades.