Monday, May 26, 2008

In Memory of...

Memorial Day always evokes images of flag draped caskets and bugle players for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. It is not often I speak of my step father with respect or honor, but on Memorial Day it is only fitting that I should remember that Donald Edward Krueger was on active duty in the United States Navy when he died. While his death was not considered war related, he did die while serving his country. He had just returned from a year of duty in Okinawa and was on the verge of being promoted to Chief Petty officer. Donald Krueger was a corpsman who had made a career of Navy life. Those who worked with him called him pappy. Somewhere I have the medals he received in combat. When Donald Krueger died there was a simple military funeral at a graveyard in Wisconsin. A life lived and died in service to our nation. I remember...

No comments: