Saturday, November 1, 2008

You have got to be kidding right? In defense of books!

So recently I have been following the newest gizmo being offered for sale on Amazon.com . Now I am all for gizmos and gadgets. I mean I have an ipod,a laptop and a desktop computer,a cell phone, and a digital camera. But the lastest gizmo I think just might be the biggest bamboozal ever sold to a gullible people!( All political races aside) The gadget of which I speak is the "Kindle" offered by Amazon for the price of $359.00. The makers tout the product as;

Kindle: Amazon's Wireless Reading Device

"This is the future of book reading. It will be everywhere." Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball and Liar's Poker.

A wireless reading device... hmmm ... I might be going out on a limb here but is not a book a wireless reading device? All of my books are wireless! In fact that is one thing I love about them. I know, I know, the product is capable of downloading multiple books into the the little device, but it further promotes itself in this manner...

• Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
• Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.

Am I crazy or is a book not the same thing? Looks and feels like and IS real paper!
A book is simple to use and has no cables or wires either!
A book does not cost $359.00 dollars before the cost of downloads! Ahhhhhhhhhh

I was recently blessed with the most amazing set of hand crafted bookcases, lovingly built by my dear husband. Bookcases for BOOKS! Lots and lots of books! Now if he knew that a little device like the Kindle could replace the need for the bookcases he could have saved a good deal of money and a great deal of space... he just might have bought me the Kindle! But then where would I have put my dear books?

Now one day I might be forced into buying a Kindle in order to get a book and then perhaps the feel of paper will be a thing of the past! But until then I will visit the Library, go to the book stores, and lovingly take books from my new bookshelves and read their sweet pages. All without wires! I have the original Kindle... wireless reading device...it is called a BOOK!

No comments: